Text/Data is from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNkG7GUZCI4&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBfI6mr5V5A

Mass Effect 1 – Liara T'Soni Conversations

(Note: I assembled all this from a variety of ME1 dialogue files. You can see the ZIP with them HERE)

THE CITADEL

(At the Citadel Council Docks after you've been appointed Spectre)

Shepard: Anything else?

Udina: We have one more lead. Matriarch Benezia, the other voice on that recording? She has a daughter, a scientist who specializes in the Protheans. We don't know if she's involved, but it might be a good idea to try and find her. See what she knows. Her name's Liara. Dr. Liara T'Soni.

We have reports she was exploring an archaeological dig on one of the uncharted worlds in the Artemis Tau cluster.

THERUM

(Shepard approaches a glowing blue biotic bubble in which an Asari is trapped)

Liara: Can you hear me out there? I am trapped. I need help!

Shepard (WE HEAR YOU)

Shepard (KEEP IT DOWN!)

Shepard (Dr. T'SONI?): Liara T'Soni, I presume.

Liara: Thank the Goddess! I did not think anyone would come looking for me. Listen. This thing I am in is a Prothean security device. I cannot move, so I need you to get me out of it. All right?

Shepard (WE'LL FIND A WAY TO FREE YOU)

Shepard (HOW)

Shepard (WE CAN'T REACH YOU)

Shepard (BENEZIA)

Shepard (TRAPPED): How did you end up in there?

Liara: I was exploring the ruins when the Geth showed up, so I hid in here. Can you believe that? Geth! Beyond the Veil! I activated the tower's defenses. I knew the barrier curtains would keep them out. When I turned it on, I must have hit something I wasn't supposed to. I was trapped in here. You must get me out. Please.

Shepard (WHAT CAN WE DO?)

Shepard (YOU BROUGHT THIS ON YOURSELF.)

Shepard (STAY CALM): We'll find some way to help you.

Liara: There is a control in here that should deactivate this thing. You'll have to find some way past the barrier curtain. That's the tricky part. The defenses cannot be shut off from the the outside. I don't know how you'll get in here.

(Pause)

Be careful. There is a krogan with the geth. They have been trying different ways to get past the barrier.

(Shepard uses mining laser to blast a tunnel underneath and goes around. As they approach Liara from behind, Liara tries to turn her head to look behind her.)

Liara: How... how did you get in here? I didn't think there was any way past the barrier!

Shepard (IT WAS EASY)

Shepard (SUPERIOR FIREPOWER)

Shepard (ITS NOT IMPORTANT): We have to get you out of here before more geth arrive.

Liara: Yes, you're right. I've seen enough of them to last a lifetime. That button should shut down my containment field.

Garrus: Wait, Commander. Can we trust her? Her mother's working with Saren.

Liara: I am not my mother! I don't even-- I don't know why Benezia joined Saren. I don't want anything to do with that turian bastard!

Shepard (LET HER OUT):

Shepard (WE NEED HER):

Shepard (I BELIEVE HER): If she was with Saren, the geth wouldn't be trying to kill her.

(Shepard shuts off the force field at the control panel and Liara collapses to the ground)

Liara: Ooff!

Tali: Any idea how we get out of this place?

Liara: There is an elevator back in the center of the tower. At least, I think it's an elevator. It should take us out of here. Come on!

(Everyone enters the elevator)

Liara: I-- I still cannot believe all this. Why would the geth come after me? Do you think Benezia's involved?

Tali: Saren's looking for the Conduit. You're a Prothean expert. He probably wants you to help him find it.

Liara: The Conduit? But I don't know--

(The entire elevator shaft shakes and Liara looks up the shaft nervously, followed by everyone else)

Garrus: What the hell was that?

Liara: These ruins aren't stable. That mining laser must have triggered a seismic event. We have to hurry. The whole place is caving in!

Shepard (WE'RE GETTING OUT OF HERE!)

Shepard (WE NEED AN ESCAPE PLAN): Joker! Get the Normandy airborne and lock in on my signal. On the double, mister!

Joker: Aye, aye, Commander. Secure and aweigh. ETA eight minutes.

Tali: He needs to move faster.

(The elevator finally starts to move and eventually stops at the top of the shaft in a large circular room as the Krogan and Geth close in).

Battlemaster: Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.

Shepard (WHAT DO YOU WANT?)

Shepard (KILL THIS BASTARD)

Shepard (THIS RUIN'S COMING DOWN): In case you didn't notice, this place is falling apart.

Battlemaster: Exhilarating, isn't it? Thanks for getting rid of those energy fields for us. Hand the doctor over.

Liara: Whatever it is you want, you're not getting it from me.

(YOU WANT TO FIGHT NOW?)

(KILL THIS BASTARD)

Shepard (I'M NOT GIVING HER UP): She'll stay with us, thanks.

Battlemaster: Not an option. Saren wants her. And he always gets what he wants.

(Liara looks towards Shepard, as if to see what they'll say in return followed by a long pause)

Battlemaster: Kill them. Spare the Asari if you can. If not, doesn't matter. (He shrugs)

(After defeating the Battlemaster, the party runs through the collapsing ruins)

Shepard: Move! Move! Move!

(They burst out of the mine entrance ahead of a burst of gas and come to a stop on the catwalks, gasping for breath beneath the Normandy)

NORMANDY CONFERENCE ROOM

(Everyone is gathered in the conference room)

Joker: Too close, Commander. Ten more seconds and we would've been swimming in molten sulphur. The Normandy isn't equipped to land in exploding volcanoes. They tend to fry our sensors and melt our hull. Just for future reference.

Liara: We almost died out there and your pilot is making jokes?

Shepard (HE SAVED US)

Shepard (HE'S A JERK)

Shepard (IT EASES THE TENSION): It's a coping mechanism. You'll get used to it.

Liara: I see. It must be a human thing. I don't have a lot of experience dealing with your species, Commander. But I am grateful to you. You saved my life back there. And not just from the volcano. Those geth would have killed me. Or dragged me off to Saren.

Kaidan: What did Saren want with you? Do you know something about the Conduit?

Liara: Only that it was somehow connected to the Prothean extinction. That is my real area of expertise. I have spent the past fifty years trying to figure out what happened to them.

Shepard (I MIGHT KNOW)

Shepard (YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME)

Shepard (FIFTY YEARS?): How old are you, exactly?

Liara: I hate to admit it, but I am only a hundred and six.

Ashley: Damn! I hope I look that good when I'm your age.

Liara: A century may seem like a long time to a short-lived species like yours. But among the asari, I am barely considered more than a child. That is why my research has not received the attention it deserves. Because of my youth, other asari scholars tend to dismiss my theories on what happened to the Protheans.

Shepard (WHAT DID YOU LEARN?): Did your research turn up anything interesting?

Liara: What is interesting is what I did not turn up. There is remarkably little archaeological evidence of the Protheans. And even less that might explain why they disappeared. It is almost as if someone did not want the mystery solved. It's like someone came along after the Protheans were gone and cleansed the galaxy of clues. But here is the incredible part. According to my findings, the Protheans were not the first galactic civilization to mysteriously vanish. This cycle began long before them.

Shepard (HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?): Where'd you come up with this theory? I thought there wasn't any evidence.

Liara: I have been working on this for fifty years. I have tracked down every scrap and shred of evidence. Eventually, subtle patterns start to emerge. Patterns that hint at the truth. It is difficult to explain to someone else. I cannot point to one specific thing to prove my case. It is more a feeling derived from a half-century of dedicated research. But I know I'm right. And eventually, I will be able to prove it. There were other civilizations before the Protheans. This cycle has repeated itself many times over. (Liara looks around the room as she says that last line).

Shepard (WHO CAME BEFORE THEM?)

Shepard (CYCLE?): What cycle? What are you talking about?

Liara: The galaxy is built on a cycle of extinction. Each time a great civilization rises up, it is suddenly and violently cast down. Only ruins survive. The Protheans rose up from a single world until their empire spanned the entire galaxy. Yet even they climbed to the top on the remains of those who came before. Their greatest achievements -- the mass relays and the Citadel -- are based on the technology of those who came before them. And then, like all the other forgotten civilizations throughout galactic history, the Protheans disappeared. I have dedicated my life to figuring out why.

Shepard (I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED)

Shepard (I CAN HELP YOU): They were wiped out by a race of sentient machines. The Reapers.

Liara: The-- The Reapers? But I have never heard of-- How do you know this? What evidence do you have?

(THE BEACON)

(I SAW IT)

Shepard: (A VISION): There was a damaged Prothean beacon on Eden Prime. It burned a vision into my brain. I'm still trying to sort out what it all means.

Liara: Visions? Yes... that makes sense. The beacons were designed to transmit information directly into the mind of the user. Finding one that still works is extremely rare. No wonder the geth attacked Eden Prime. The chance to acquire a working beacon--even a badly damaged one--is worth almost any risk. But the beacons were only programmed to interact with Prothean physiology. Whatever information you received would have been confused, unclear. I am amazed you were able to make sense of it at all. A lesser mind would have been utterly destroyed by the process. You must be remarkably strong-willed, Commander.

Kaidan: This isn't helping us find Saren. Or the Conduit.

Liara: Of course. You are right. I am sorry. My scientific curiosity got the better of me. Unfortunately, I do not have any information that could help you find the Conduit. Or Saren.

(SO WHAT GOOD ARE YOU?)

Shepard: (YOU CAN STILL HELP US): I don't know why Saren wanted you out of the picture. But I think we'll be a lot better off if we bring you along.

Liara: Thank you, Commander. Saren might come after me again. I cannot think of anywhere safer than here on your ship. And my knowledge of the Protheans might be useful later on.

Wrex: And her biotics will come in handy when the fighting starts.

(YOU CAN COME)

(GREAT. ANOTHER ALIEN)

Shepard (WELCOME ABOARD): Good to have you on the team, Liara.

Liara: Thank you, Commander. I am very gratef-- whoa. I am afraid I am feeling a bit light-headed.

Kaidan: When was the last time you ate? Or slept? Dr. Chakwas should take a look at you.

Liara: It is probably just mental exhaustion, coupled with the shock of discovering the Protheans' true fate. I need some time to process all this. Still, it could not hurt to be examined by a medical professional. It will give me the chance to think things over. Are we finished here, Commander?

(THAT'S ALL FOR NOW)

(WE'RE DONE)

Shepard (WE'LL TALK LATER): We can talk again after you've seen the doctor. The rest of you... dismissed!

Joker: Mission reports are filed, Commander. You want me to patch you through to the Council?

NO

Shepard (YES): Patch them through, Joker.

Joker: Setting up the link now, Commander.

Council Report on Thereum

(The three councilors appear via hologram)

Tevos: We've received your report, Commander. I understand Dr. T'Soni is on the Normandy.

Sparatus: I assume you're taking the necessary security precautions?

THAT'S NOT NECESSARY

I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING

Shepard (SHE WANTS TO HELP US): Liara's on our side. The geth were trying to kill her.

First MedBay Conversation with Liara

(Shepard enters the room behind the MedBay, and Liara stands up from her desk)

Liara: Commander, are you coming to check up on me?

ARE YOU OKAY?

NO

Shepard (I WAS WORRIED): You look much better. How are you feeling?

Liara: Dr. Chakwas assures me I am going to be fine. I was impressed with her knowledge of asari physiology.

GOODBYE

THAT'S HER JOB

Shepard (SHE'S THE BEST): You're in good hands. Dr. Chakwas knows what she's doing.

Liara: I never properly thanked you for saving me from the geth, Commander. If you hadn't shown up...

YOU'RE WELCOME

JUST PART OF THE MISSION

Shepard (DON'T MENTION IT): I'm just glad we got there in time.

Liara: So am I.

(pause)

I know you took a chance bringing me aboard this ship. I have seen the way your crew looks at me. They do not trust me. But I am not like Benezia. I will do whatever I can to help you stop Saren. I promise.

WE'LL SEE

Shepard (I KNOW): Don't worry, Liara. I trust you. I know you won't let me down.

Liara: It means a lot to hear you say that, Commander. Thank you.

Shepard (I'D LIKE TO TALK ABOUT YOU): Tell me about yourself, Liara.

Liara: Me? I am afraid I am not very interesting, Commander. I spend most of my time on remote digs, unearthing mundane items buried in long-forgotten Prothean ruins.

DO YOU LIKE IT?

SOUNDS BORING

Shepard (YOU MUST GET LONELY): Sounds dangerous. And lonely.

Liara: Sometimes I would run afoul of indigenous life-forms, or stumble across a small band of mercenaries or privateers. But I was always careful. Until the geth followed me to Artemis Tau, I never found myself in any situation my biotics could not handle. As for the solitude, well, that is one aspect that most appealed to me. Sometimes, I just need to get away from other people.

DO YOU LIKE YOUR JOB?

SOUNDS BORING

Shepard (WHY'S THAT?): You don't like other people?

Liara: I suppose it comes from being a Matriarch's daughter. People expected me to follow in Benezia's footsteps. They wanted me to become a leader of our people. Matriarchs guide their followers into the future; they seek the truth of what is yet to come. Maybe that's why I became so interested in the secrets of the past. It sounds so foolish when I say it out loud. It sounds like I became an archaeologist simply to spite Benezia.

DO YOU LIKE IT?

MUST HAVE MADE HER MAD.

Shepard (IT'S NOT FOOLISH): All children rebel against their parents. It's a natural part of growing up.

Liara: Ha-ha. You share the wisdom of the Matriarch, Shepard. That is exactly what Benezia said when I told her of my decision. But there was more to it than that. I felt drawn to the past. The Protheans were these wondrous, mysterious figures. I wanted to know everything about them. That is why I find you so fascinating. You were marked by the beacon on Eden Prime; you were touched by working Prothean technology!

DON'T TRY TO STUDY ME!

Shepard (I'M FASCINATING?): Sounds like you want to dissect me in a lab somewhere.

Liara: What? No! I did not mean to insinuate-- Ah, I never meant to offend you, Shepard. I only meant that you would be an interesting specimen for in-depth study. No-- that's even worse!

I WASN'T SERIOUS

DON'T TRY TO STUDY ME!

Shepard (RELAX): Calm down, Liara. I was only joking.

Liara: Joking? Oh, by the Goddess! How could I be so dense? (She puts her hand on her crest) You must think I am a complete and utter fool. Now you know why I prefer to spend my time in the field with data disks and computers. I always seem to say something embarrassing around other people. Please... just pretend this conversation never happened.

Shepard (BENEZIA): Do you know why Benezia joined up with Saren?

Liara: I don't understand it. She was always outspoken about the need for the asari to become more involved in shaping galactic events. Maybe she thought allying herself with Saren would somehow be for the greater good in the long run. At least, I hope so.

MAYBE SHE'S JUST EVIL

Shepard (YOU SOUND TROUBLED): This hurts you, doesn't it?

Liara: None of this makes any sense to me. I have not spoken to Benezia in many years, but I know her! And this was not like her. Something changed.

Shepard (ASARI CULTURE): I'd like to know more about the asari.

Liara: We were the first species to discover the Citadel. We were instrumental in forming the Council. And we always strive to be the voice of peaceful cooperation in galactic disputes. My people believe we are all part of a single galactic community. Each species contributes something to the greater whole. Although we seek to understand other species, it seems few of them seek to understand us. The galaxy is filled with rumors and misinformation about my people.

Shepard (RUMORS?): Like what?

Liara: Most of the inaccuracies are centered around our mating rituals. My species is mono-gendered. "Male" and "female" have no real meaning for us. We still require a partner to reproduce. This second parent, however, may be of any species and any gender.

THAT'S DISGUSTING!

Shepard (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?): I don't understand. Your species can mate with anyone?

Liara: Mating is not quite the proper term. Not as you understand it. Physical contact may or may not be involved, but it is not an essential element of the union. The true connection is mental. Our physiology allow us to meld with other beings. We can touch the very depths of their minds. We explore the genetic memory of their species. We share the most basic elements of their individual and racial identities. We then pass these traits on to our daughters. It is how we learn to grow as a species, and how we develop a greater understanding of other races.

WHAT ABOUT THE AGE DIFFERENCE?

Shepard (WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER PARENT?): What happens to your partner after the union?

Liara: Every relationship is different. Some unions are a single encounter, with both parents parting ways afterwards. Others can be more long-term. Sometimes an asari and her partner will stay together for many decades.

Shepard (WHO WAS YOUR FATHER?): Do you know who Matriarch Benezia chose as her partner?

Liara: She rarely spoke of her partner, though I know my father--if you want to use that term--was another asari.

(YOU DON'T KNOW WHO?)

Shepard (YOU CAN DO THAT?): I thought you always needed another species to serve as one of the parents.

Liara: Think about it, Shepard. If we were not able to mate with our own species, we would have died out long before we ever mastered space flight and left our homeworld.

(pause)

Liara: Union with our own kind is no longer common. Not for the purposes of reproduction. Most asari believe it weakens our species. Asari daughters inherit racial traits from the father species. If both parents are asari, then nothing has been gained. Or so conventional wisdom would hold. I am what is sometimes called a "pureblood", though no asari would ever be cruel enough to say the word to my face. It is a great insult among my people. It is possible Benezia's partner was embarrassed by their union. She may have been too ashamed to publicly acknowledge me as her offspring.

THAT'S TERRIBLE!

THEN WHY'D SHE DO IT?

Shepard (YOU DON'T KNOW THAT): Maybe she wanted to meet you but couldn't. Something could have happened to her. Maybe she passed away.

Liara: You might be right. I hope you are. But I have no way to know for sure. Benezia never spoke of her partner. Whatever happened, it caused her too much pain to dwell on it. She raised me by herself, though that is not uncommon. Many asari raise their children alone, particularly if the father species is short-lived. Often, the partner will pass on long before the child reaches maturity.

Shepard (HOW DO THEY DEAL WITH THAT?): You asari live for a thousand years. What happens when your partner dies?

Liara: Few sapient species live as long as my kind. We have learned to take a philosophical approach to our unions. We do not focus on the inevitable loss of our partners. Instead, we enjoy the time we spend with them. And even after a partner has passed on, a part of them lives on in us. The union is a connection that transcends both time and space.

Shepard: I should go.

Liara: Goodbye, Shepard.

Post-Mission Talk with Ashley

Ashley: Not sure I buy Dr. T'Soni's story. About her and her mom not talking. They're family, right?

IT MIGHT NOT MATTER

WE'LL WATCH HER

Shepard (I BELIEVE HER): I think she's being straight with us. Or, at least, I don't think she lies very often.

Ashley: Yeah, she's probably really bad at it. (Pause as she looks downwards and then up.) Hey, want me to ask her about her sex life? Might be illuminating.

THAT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS

THAT WOULDN'T BE APPROPRIATE

Shepard (DON'T BE CRUEL): I don't think she's used to teasing, good-natured or otherwise.

Ashley: No fun, Commander.

Citadel Background Chats

Liara (in a random ward): Everyone here seems so busy, so rushed. I wonder if they are happy?

(While in Elevator)

Tali: You must welcome civilization after so long a time in the Prothean ruins.

Liara: No. Cities and stations were always my mother's area of comfort. I actually enjoy the solitude of dig sites.

Second MedBay Conversation with Liara

Liara: I get the feeling you want to ask me something, Commander.

Shepard (TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOU): Maybe we could pick up where we left off. You were telling me about your interest in the Protheans.

Liara: Actually, I think I was talking about my interest in you. And making a fool of myself in the process. As I said, I'm not used to dealing with people. Especially humans. I did not really know much about your species when we first met, Shepard. I found it hard to take humanity seriously. Your kind always seemed so rushed and high-strung.

Shepard (WE'RE SHORT-LIVED): We don't have the luxury of time. An Asari can live for a thousand years. We're lucky if we hit 150.

Liara: That is true. At first, I thought that was a weakness of your species. After spending time with you and your crew, however, I think it may actually be an advantage. You humans are creatures of action. You pursue your goals with an almost indomitable determination. It is an admirable trait, but also an intimidating one.

THAT'S INSULTING

Shepard (WHAT ABOUT NOW?): Has your opinion changed at all?

Liara: It has. I have been watching you and your crew. It has taught me a lot about your species. You humans are creatures of action. You pursue your goals with an almost indomitable determination. It is an admirable trait, but also an intimidating one.

IT WORKS FOR US.

THAT'S STILL INSULTING.

Shepard (INTIMIDATING?): You're scared of us?

Liara: Unfortunately, the rest of the galaxy sees humanity as something of a bully. You run over anyone in your path to get what you want. It's up to people like you to change their minds, Shepard.

I'M TRYING

NOT MY PROBLEM

Shepard (ME?): Why me?

Liara: There is a reason the Council chose you to become a Spectre. They saw something special in you -- the best of what humanity has to offer.

(Sole Survivor) I looked into your history. I know what happened on Akuze. The fact that you survived shows a remarkable strength.

(Ruthless) I looked into your history. I know what you did on Torfan. I cannot even imagine how horrible that must have been, but you did what had to be done.

(War Hero) I looked into your history. I know what you did during the Blitz. It was a remarkable display of courage and heroism.

YOU LOOKED THAT UP?

YOU SPIED ON ME?

Shepard (YOU COULD'VE ASKED): You didn't need to go behind my back. I would've told you whatever you wanted to know.

Liara: I apologize, Commander. After our last conversation, I was afraid I would say something stupid again. I wanted to know more about you. To understand what made you into the (man/woman) you are. There is something compelling about you, Shepard.

ME? OR THE BEACON?

UNACCEPTABLE!

Shepard (I WANT TO BELIEVE THAT): Are you sure you're interested in me? Or is it my visions of the Protheans?

Liara: I admit, your connection to the Protheans had something to do with my initial interest. But it has grown beyond that. You intrigue me, Shepard. But I was not sure if it was appropriate to act on my feelings. I thought there might already be a relationship between you and Lt. Alenko.

KAIDAN'S SPECIAL

THAT'S PRIVATE

Shepard (YOU'RE FEMALE!): You want a relationship with me? Even though we're both women?

Liara: We asari are mono-gendered, Commander. "Male" and "female" don't have any real meaning for us. We do, however, have maternal instincts. So perhaps we would fill what you consider a female role. I'm sorry if this is awkward for you, Shepard. I'm only trying to be honest. I feel as if we share some type of... connection. But none of this matters if you are already involved in a serious relationship with Lt. Alenko.

Shepard (IT'S NOT SERIOUS): The lieutenant and I are just friends. Nothing more.

Liara: My mistake, then. I am not as adept at understanding human relationships as I thought. But what about us, Shepard? Is there a mutual attraction? Or was I wrong about that, too?

I JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS

YOU WERE WRONG

Shepard (I AM ATTRACTED TO YOU): No, you were right. There is something between us.

Liara: I knew it! And I knew you felt it, too. But... does this not seem rather strange? Why do I feel so close to you? We have only known each other a short time. We are from two different species. We have almost nothing in common. This makes no sense!

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO

WE HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON

Shepard (DON'T ANALYZE THIS): Quit thinking like a scientist. Logic doesn't work when it comes to relationships. Just let yourself get swept up in the storm.

Liara: You make it sound so... chaotic. So... dangerous.

ARE YOU SCARED?

THAT'S WHY IT'S FUN

Shepard (I'LL PROTECT YOU): I'll keep you safe.

Liara: I am not looking for a protector...This is all a bit overwhelming. I am not used to... this. You. I need some time.

IT'S A LOT TO HANDLE

YOU STARTED IT!

Shepard (I UNDERSTAND): Take all the time you need, Liara. I'll be here.

Liara: Thank you, Shepard. Let's... let's just talk about something else for now.

Shepard: I should go.

Liara: Goodbye, Shepard

CONVERSATION WITH VIRMIRE TEAMMATE(S)

KAIDAN

Shepard: This a personal observation, Kaidan?

Kaidan: I, um... I-- I don't want to step on anyone else's toes. Especially if you're a-- Uh, if I have misread your interests.

MY INTERESTS?

THAT'S MY BUSINESS, ALENKO

Shepard (YOU MEAN LIARA?): Someone--? You're referring to our young Prothean expert?

Kaidan: I think she's older than both of us put together. But uh, yeah. There's a lower-deck rumor that she's, uh, interested in you. As more than a source of Prothean data. She's a very interesting lady. Not to my, uh, tastes. But I never claimed to be big on alien culture.

ARE YOU JEALOUS?

IT'S NOT LIKE THAT

I THINK I'VE HEARD ENOUGH

Shepard: Just remember, Lieutenant. I saw her first.

Kaidan: They do say asari are open to that sort of thing. Ma'am.

ASHLEY







(can't find this on youtube)

CONFRONTATION WITH VIRMIRE TEAMMATE(S)
(This scene occurs only if you haven't told the opposite sex Virmire Teammate that you're interested in Liara).

KAIDAN
(Liara romanced)

Kaidan: Dr. T'soni? Commander? We need to talk. The three of us.

Liara: This is a rather awkward situation.

Kaidan: I'm not trying to make anyone uncomfortable. I'm just trying to figure out where I stand.

LET'S TALK

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN

Shepard (NOT NOW, ALENKO): This isn't the time to talk about this.

Liara: I disagree. I may not know much about human relationships, but I understand the concept of jealousy.

Kaidan: I'm not jealous. I'm confused. I thought we had something, ma'am. I-- I didn't realize you were a-- Well, that you prefer other women.

Liara: I am not exactly a woman, Lieutenant. My species only has one gender.

Kaidan: Yeah, but you look-- All right. Shepard, make a choice. If you're not serious about me-- It'll hurt, but I'll get over it. But until you tell me, I can't get over it.

IT'S NOT LIKE THAT

CAN'T I HAVE YOU BOTH?

Shepard (I'M SORRY KAIDAN): I never meant for you to get hurt. But Liara's the one I really care about.

Kaidan: I'll be fine, Commander. We're just friends. I understand. I hope things work out for you two. I've got a lot of work to do, Commander. Mission reports. That kind of thing. You know how it is.

(Kaidan leaves the conference room)

(Liara watches him leave and then turns to Shepard)

Liara: I feel bad for him, Shepard. I hope he'll be okay.

HE JUST NEEDS SOME TIME

DON'T WORRY ABOUT HIM

Shepard (I'LL CHECK ON HIM LATER): I'll go talk with him in a while. Give him a chance to cool down.

Liara: I suppose you're right. I'm sorry you were put in this position, but... I'm glad you chose me. (she smiles slightly as she says this)

Liara: I don't believe we should continue this discussion here in the com room, Shepard. You know where to find me if you want to have a more private conversation.

(Liara leaves)

ASHLEY
(Appears to be an inconclusive Liara romance up to this point)

Liara: Miss Williams, Commander - we need to talk. If we do not resolve this situation now, I am afraid things might become... awkward.

Ashley: Oh, "awkward", huh?

Liara: I hope we can keep this civilized. I do not want things to become... unpleasant.

Ashley: Because it's been so pleasant between us lately. Look. Somebody in this room needs to make a choice. It ain't me, and it ain't you.

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN

NOT NOW, ASH

Shepard (LET'S TALK): Maybe we should try to work this out.

Liara: I think we must. I may not know much about human relationships, but I understand the concept of jealousy.

Ashley: Jealous? Of you? You're not even our species!

Liara: Perhaps that is why you feel threatened. I am a rival unlike any you have faced before. Hostility is a common reaction to the unfamiliar.

Ashley: Doctor, you keep smart-assing me, I'll show you what my hostile reaction is like.

ENOUGH!

CATFIGHT!

Shepard (EVERYBODY CALM DOWN): Both of you settle down. We can handle this like mature adults.

Ashley: This is stupid. We're not married, Shepard. You want to get involved with some alien, go ahead. It's none of my business.

GOODBYE, ASH

CAN'T I HAVE YOU BOTH?

Shepard (IT'S NOT LIKE THAT): You're special to me, Ash.

Ashley: Yeah? Kind of hard to feel special while you're always "chatting" with your little blue friend on the side. Or is that my role?

Liara: This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I never should have told you of my feelings, Shepard. I have put you in a terrible position. I am sorry.

GOODBYE, LIARA

CAN'T I HAVE YOU BOTH?

Shepard (DON'T BE): You were right to tell me, Liara. I feel the same way.

Ashley: I've heard enough. We're resolving this now, Shepard. Me or her?

GOODBYE, LIARA

CAN'T I HAVE YOU BOTH?

Shepard (GOODBYE, ASH): I never meant for you to get hurt. But Liara's the one I really care about.

Ashley: Hey. We're all grown-ups here. Right? I hope you two will be happy together. If you don't mind, I need to clean my gear.

(Ashley leaves)

(Liara watches her leave and then turns to Shepard)

Liara: I feel bad for her, Shepard. I hope she'll be okay.

SHE JUST NEEDS SOME TIME

DON'T WORRY ABOUT HER

Shepard (I'LL CHECK ON HER LATER): I'll go talk with her in a while. Give her a chance to cool down.

Liara: I suppose you're right. I'm sorry you were put in this position, but... I'm glad you chose me. (she smiles slightly as she says this)

Liara: I don't believe we should continue this discussion here in the com room, Shepard. You know where to find me if you want to have a more private conversation.

(Liara leaves)

FIRST MELD WITH LIARA IN CONFERENCE ROOM
FOLLOWING THE MELD WITH SHIALA ON FEROS

Liara: Commander? You look... pale. Are you suffering any ill effects from the Cipher?

I'M FINE

I WAS JUST BRAIN PROBED!

Shepard (I FEEL STRANGE): The Cipher shook me up a bit.

Liara: I might be able to help you. I am an expert on the Protheans. If I join my consciousness to yours maybe we can make some sense of it.

IT'S WORTH A SHOT

FORGET IT!

Shepard (GO AHEAD): Do it. Hurry. We don't have much time.

(Liara approaches Shepard)

Liara: Relax, Commander. Embrace Eternity!

Liara (Alternate): Try to relax, Commander. Let your mind be swept up in the currents that join us, one to another... embrace eternity!

(Liara closes her eyes and they open as flat black)

(Shepard and Liara view the Prothean visions again)

Liara: That was incredible! All this time. All my research. Yet I never dreamed... I'm sorry. The images were so vivid. I never imagined the experience would be so... intense. You are remarkably strong-willed, Commander. What you've been through, what you've seen, would have destroyed a lesser mind.

Kaidan: Did you see anything?

Liara: The beacon on Eden Prime must have been badly damaged. Large parts of the vision are missing. The data transferred into the commander's mind is incomplete.

DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING?

THAT WAS POINTLESS

Shepard (SO THERE WAS NOTHING USEFUL?): You sure you didn't come across any kind of clue or hint? Something we might have missed?

Liara: Everything I saw you already know. You were right about the Reapers. The Protheans were destroyed by a race of sentient machines. I think it's obvious there's a connection between the Reapers, the Prothean extinction, and the Conduit. But I didn't see anything that would help us find it.

Shepard (NOW WHAT?): What's our next move?

Liara: I was able to interpret the data relayed through your vision. What was there, at least. But something was missing. Saren must have the missing information. Maybe he found another beacon. If we can find the missing data from your vision I can-- whoa!

(Liara puts her hand to her crest)

Liara: I'm sorry. The joining is... exhausting. I should go to the medical bay and lie down for a moment.

Shepard (ARE YOU OKAY?): Dr. Chakwas should take a look at you.

Liara: That won't be necessary. I just need some rest. Somewhere quiet.

Shepard (IT DIDN'T TIRE ME OUT): Are you sure it was the joining? I feel fine.

Liara: Your role in our communion is passive. I am the one who must submerge myself in your mind. Drown myself in your thoughts. It's more difficult than it looks. The human subconscious instinctively resists the joining, Commander. A strong personality like yours makes it even harder.

Shepard (GO AHEAD): We're done here. Dismissed.

Third MedBay Conversation with Liara

Liara: Commander, are you coming to check up on me?

ARE YOU OKAY?

NO

Shepard (I WAS WORRIED): You look much better. How are you feeling?

Liara: Dr. Chakwas assures me I am going to be fine. I was impressed with her knowledge of asari physiology.

Shepard (SHE'S THE BEST): You're in good hands. Dr. Chakwas knows what she's doing.

Liara: I get the feeling you want to ask me something, Commander.

Shepard (LET'S TALK): I like talking with you, Liara. No matter what the subject.

Liara: You have been very understanding with me, Shepard. Very patient. I appreciate that. I know there are some strange beliefs about my people. I am familiar with the legend of asari promiscuity. But those rumors have little basis in fact. When one of my people joins with an individual from another species, it is a very deep and spiritual exchange. We do not enter lightly into a union.

Shepard (A SPIRITUAL EXCHANGE?): You make it sound almost mystical.

Liara: A true union goes far beyond an ordinary melding. It is a connection that transcends the physical universe. Two become one. Thoughts and senses merge. Identities intertwine. Memories and emotions weave themselves together, becoming entangled in a single, rapturous whole. It is unlike any other experience. In some cases, it can be a truly life-changing event.

IS THIS A PROPOSITION?

SOUNDS WEIRD

Shepard (I'M INTRIGUED): It sounds amazing. Are you saying--

Liara: No! Oh, no! Uh, I am not very good at this, am I? I'm sorry, Shepard. I am trying to explain why I have been so... reserved. The union is more than just sex. It is the life-blood of my species, the way we asari evolve and grow as a society. That is why I have never... uh, I mean, that is why we must choose our partners with great care.

THERE'S NO RUSH

UNBELIEVABLE!

Shepard (YOU'VE NEVER DONE THIS?): Wait... are you saying this is your first time?

Liara: I am only one hundred and six, barely an adult by asari standards. And I spend most of my time absorbed in my research. I never really thought about it. Not until I met you. You are very special to me, Shepard. But with all that's happened--Saren, the geth, the Reapers--I do not know if we are ready for this.

YOU'RE RIGHT

WE ARE.

Shepard (I UNDERSTAND): These are dark times, Liara. Maybe once all this is over...

Liara: I'm glad you understand, Shepard. There is too much at stake. We need to put aside our personal feelings and focus on stopping Saren. I wish it did not have to be that way, but we all have to make sacrifices. Let's... let's talk about something else.

Shepard: I should go.

Liara: Goodbye, Shepard.

Noveria

Liara: She is here. I can't believe it. I imagine you want to talk to me, Shepard. About my mother.

CAN I TRUST YOU?

I CAN'T TRUST YOU.

Shepard (DON'T WORRY): No, I don't. I trust you, Liara. You may not be military, but you're part of my crew.

Liara: Thank you, Shepard. That means a great deal to me.

...

(Shepard is talking to Lorik Qui'in)

Lorik: Yes, she caused quite a stir. It is not every day a Matriarch arrives with a guard detail of commandos.

Shepard (IS IT ODD TO SEE A MATRIACH?): Is it so unusual to see a Matriarch?

Lorik: They rarely venture beyond Asari space. To see such an esteemed figure is surprising. Lady Benezia was also dressed for the role. An Asari in a pinstriped suit set tongues wagging among the younger male employees. So to speak.

Liara: Young males have an unhealthy obsession with my species.

Shepard (THEY LET COMMANDOS IN?): Armed commandos were allowed on Noveria?

Lorik: I don't know if they were disarmed. Of course, one can't confiscate biotic powers. Saren – and by extension, Benezia – is an important person. By that I mean an investor who might sell stock if denied.

Shepard (WHAT'S SHE DOING HERE?): Do you know why Benezia is here?

Lorik: She claimed to be Saren's assistant, here to get a certain project “back on track”. I suspect she meant Peak 15.

– – – – – – –

Battle at Peak 34, Noveria

– – – – – – –

Debriefing on the Normandy after Noveria

Ashley: What's our next move, Commander? Head for the Mu Relay?

NO

THERE'S NO POINT

Shepard (NOT SO FAST): The Mu Relay could link to dozens of systems. Unless we know exactly where Saren's going, we'd just be wasting our time.

Liara: The commander is right. We cannot rush off blind. We still need to learn more about Saren.

Ashley: Who put you in charge? Did the commander resign when I wasn't looking?

ENOUGH

I'M STILL IN CHARGE HERE!

Shepard (CALM DOWN): We're all on the same team here, Williams. She's just trying to help.

Ashley: Sorry, Commander.

FALL OUT.

DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN

Shepard (IT'S OKAY): This is a tough mission. We're all on edge. Everyone go get some rest. Crew... dismissed!

Conversation with Liara after Noveria

Liara: If you are here to talk about Benezia's death, you need not bother. She brought it upon herself.

SHE DID

FORGET ABOUT HER.

Shepard (YOU DON'T FEEL BAD?): Don't pretend it doesn't bother you. She was your mother.

Liara: She was... but she was not. I prefer to remember Benezia as she used to be, before she was corrupted by Sovereign's power.

IT'S SAREN'S FAULT

Shepard (SHE'S STILL WITH YOU): The best of your mother lives on in you: her determination, her intelligence, her strength.

Liara: That is kind of you to say. I appreciate your concern, but I am fine. Benezia chose her path, just as I have chosen mine. I am with you until the end, Shepard.

Shepard (BENEZIA): Do you know why Benezia joined up with Saren?

Liara: Benezia was swept up in events beyond her control and lost herself. She fell under the spell of indoctrination and became part of the very thing she wanted to stop. But I will remember and honor how she lived, not how she died. My mother was strong, kind, and beautiful. And now she is gone.

Shepard (I'M SORRY): Are you going to be okay?

Liara: You are kind to ask, Shepard. I do miss her. And I grieve for what happened to her. But I will not let my grief interfere with what we are trying to accomplish.

Shepard: I should go.

Liara: Goodbye, Shepard.

Virmire

Liara: I do not know which is worse: the Geth, or all this sand in my... never mind.

Debriefing on the Normandy after Virmire

Shepard: What the public and the military did to him was unfair. But I don't want to lose a good soldier over it.

Ashley: Aye, aye, Commander.

Liara: Commander? Excuse me for interrupting. But I have an idea. I think the beacon you found in Saren's base was similar to the one you found on Eden Prime. It may have filled in the missing pieces of your vision. I might be able to help you put all those pieces together.

I'M WILLING TO TRY

FORGET IT!

Shepard (DO IT): You want to join our minds again, don't you? Okay. Go ahead.

Liara: Relax, Commander. Embrace eternity!

(full version shown)

Liara: Incredible. I... I never thought the images would be so... intense. I need a moment to collect myself.

WHAT DID YOU SEE?

HURRY UP!

Shepard (THIS IS IMPORTANT): Did the vision make any sense to you?

Liara: It's a distress call, a message sent out across the Prothean Empire. A warning against the Reapers, but the warning came too late.

THAT'S IT?

SHEPARD (ANYTHING ELSE?): What about the Conduit?

Liara: There were other images. Locations. Places I recognized from my research... Ilos! The Conduit is on Ilos! That is why Saren needed to find the Mu Relay! It is the only way to get to Ilos.

SHEPARD (YOU NEVER MENTIONED THIS): How come you never told us about Ilos before?

Liara: The Mu Relay links to dozens of systems and hundreds of worlds. How was I to know Ilos was the one we wanted? Without the Cipher, the images in your visions were never clear. Only now do I recognize them as landmarks from Ilos.

WE HAVE TO HURRY!

TIME'S SHORT!

SHEPARD (LET'S GO): We need to get to Ilos!

Tali: Forget it. The Mu Relay's inside the Terminus Systems. Alliance ships are not welcome there. Neither are Spectres.

WE'LL BE CAREFUL

THAT WON'T STOP ME!

SHEPARD (WE HAVE NO CHOICE): The Conduit's on Ilos. That's where Saren is heading. I'll be waiting for him when he gets there!

Liara: Saren will have his entire fleet orbiting Ilos. You will never make it down to the surface without reinforcements. You must alert the Council. We need a fleet to-- ohhh... (Liara reaches for her crest) I am sorry. The joining is... exhausting. I should go to the medical bay and lie down for a moment.

Fourth MedBay Conversation with Liara

Liara: I've been thinking about Saren. I actually feel a little sorry for him now.

SO DO I

DON'T

SHEPARD (WHY?): He's the last person I'd feel sorry for.

Liara: He is trapped inside his own mind. Part of him senses his identity slowly being swallowed up by Sovereign, but he is powerless to stop it. I wonder how he first fell into Sovereign's trap? Did he think he could somehow stop the Reapers from returning? Or was he simply driven by a lust for power and glory?

DOES IT MATTER?

LUST FOR POWER

SHEPARD (WE'LL NEVER KNOW): Whatever Saren's reasons may have been, they're long gone now. He has to be stopped.

Liara: Yes, I suppose you are right. He may be Sovereign's victim, but he is also a threat to all life as we know it.

(pause)

Let's not spend every free minute talking about Saren. It is bad enough we are chasing him across the galaxy.

After Shepard has been grounded

(Liara slowly approaches Shepard on the Normandy's mid-bridge. Shepard is at their locker)

(When Liara approaches, Shepard turns around and collapses to the ground despondently)

Liara: Commander? Shepard? I cannot believe they did this to you. I am so sorry.

THEY'RE IDIOTS!

THEY SCREWED ME!

SHEPARD (IT WASN'T YOU): It's not your fault.

Liara: It's not right. You did everything they asked and more. Nobody else could have done what you did! The Council owes you everything. Everything! Instead, they strip you of your command and ground the Normandy.

AND DOOM THE GALAXY

YOU CAN'T TRUST POLITICANS

SHEPARD (THERE ARE BIGGER ISSUES): I don't care if they ground me, but they refuse to go after Saren. If they don't stop him from finding the Conduit, we're all dead!

Liara: Perhaps we could appeal and get them to reverse their decision.

WHAT'S THE USE?

NOT NOW, LIARA!

SHEPARD (I TRIED!): I pushed them as hard as I could! They wouldn't budge.

Liara: So you're going to walk away? You will just give up and doom the entire galaxy to extinction?

GIVE ME SOME TIME

NOT A CHANCE!

SHEPARD (STAY STRONG): We're out of the game for now. But I'll find a way back in.

Liara: I believe in you, Shepard. I am with you every step of the way.

(Liara offers her hand to Shepard, who grabs it; as Shepard gets up they end up awfully close to Liara. Just as they're about to kiss...)

Joker: Sorry to interrupt, Commander. Got a message from Captain Anderson.

GIVE ME THE MESSAGE

SHEPARD (WERE YOU LISTENING IN?): Are you spying on us, Joker?

(As this is said, Liara rubs her crest)

Joker: No, ma'am. Just knew you were on the ship and figured I'd pass the message on. The captain said to meet him at Flux. That club down in the wards.

Liara: You should probably go meet with him.

THE CONSORT PLOTLINE



Shepard: What exactly do you do?

Sha'ira: That depends on your needs. I offer advice to some, comfort to others.

Liara: Fascinating. Now you wanted to meet with the commander?

Sha'ira: Yes, I did. I have a certain problem that could use your expertise.

TELL ME ABOUT IT.

WHAT IS IT?

HURRY UP

ON THE WAY TO ILOS

(Shepard and company have commandeered the Normandy and slipped the Council lockdown and are on the way to Ilos.)

(Shepard is at their workstation in their office working on something as Liara enters)

Liara: Shepard? May I speak with you?

OF COURSE

I'M BUSY

Shepard (I'M GLAD YOU'RE HERE): I was just thinking about you.

Liara: I have been thinking about you, too. And what we are about to face. I do not know what is going to happen on Ilos. I hope we will stop Saren, of course, but part of me fears we are already too late. There is something I must tell you, in case we fail.

IT'LL BE OKAY

DON'T TALK LIKE THAT!

Shepard (WHAT IS IT): Go ahead. I'm listening.

Liara: These could be our last moments together. Our last chance to show each other how we feel. I want this to be special. (she slowly walks closer to Shepard)

I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO WAIT

NOW?

Shepard (SO DO I): I want this, Liara. I do. But are you sure you're ready?

Liara: I have never been more sure of anything in my life. Will you join with me, Shepard? Let our bodies and minds unite.

YES!

FORGET IT.

Shepard (I WILL): Just tell me what to do.

(Liara grabs Shepard and kisses them fiercely)

(Segue into sex scene that caused a minor kerfluffle when Mass Effect 1 was released on the Xbox as an exclusive)

(Liara slowly gets up from bed to face a fully clothed Shepard) (LOL WAT)

Liara: By the Goddess! That was incredible, Shepard.

IT WAS

LET'S GO AGAIN

Shepard (SO WERE YOU): You were incredible.

Joker: Five minutes ETA to the Mu Relay.

Liara: I had better go. Duty calls. You would not want to keep Joker waiting. Shepard? Whatever happens on Ilos, I just wanted to say... thank you. For everything.